Food. Travel. Recipes.

Monday 19 April 2010

every morning should start with blueberry risen pancakes

I have taken and modified this recipe from the lovely "Spooning with Rosie" by Rosie Lovell. I have just found her blog today as well which I've now added to my sidebar. It's a lovely blog with pictures of the meals she makes and places she goes.


Breakfast is my favourite meal of the day, so I always try and make it special to start the day on a high, I had never made pancakes before this either so that was a bit of a trial and I was very pleased with the outcome.


Ingredients:

1 medium egg

130g self raising flour

50g caster sugar

a pinch of salt

1 teaspoon baking powder

150ml full fat milk (I used semi-skimmed and they still turn out fine, but full fat would probably be better)

2 tablespoons butter

150g blueberries (or enough to dot 5 or 6 in each small pancake)

(I've taken these instructions from Rosie's recipe, so not claiming it is my own apart from a couple of my minute modifications!)



Beat the egg in a mixing bowl, add half the flour, the sugar, the salt and baking powder and beat with a whisk. This will form an elastic batter. Then add the milk, making sure the batter isn't lumpy and is of a light and smooth consistency. Then add the remaining flour. It may need a little water to loosen it further. The mixture should be entirely lumpless. Set aside for an hour as it makes for a better pancake.


Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a large bottomed frying pan so it is silky with fat but not to the point of deep frying. Allow the butter to melt and become hot and slippy when the pan is tilted.



Dot 5 or 6 blueberries in 3 corners of the saucepan. Pour a small amount of batter over each collection of blueberries to form three small pancakes in the pan. Allow them to really brown and go golden on the bottom. They will be ready to turn when the top side is beginning to firm and is bubbling. Flip each one over with a heatproof spatula and brown the other side. They should rise a little and each side should take just over a minute.



Dust some icing sugar over the top for a delicious morning treat.

Love FF x

No comments:

Post a Comment